Sarah SaysSarah SaysSarah SaysSarah SaysSarah Says

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

mac & cheese: update edition

I made the mac & cheese from yesterdays post, for dinner last night. It was good. It's not the traditional mac & cheese you may be thinking of - I mean, it DOES have pureed butternut squash in it, and although you can barely taste that in the mac & cheese, you CAN taste it. It does give the mac & cheese the traditional & comforting "orange" color though.

I also have to admit that my attempt at making it healthier semi-failed. I added WAY more cheese then I was suppose to. I kept trying the sauce and it just never tasted cheesy enough for me, and we had to actually eat it for dinner, so I had to make sure it was edible. I would say I doubled the amount of cheese & mustard powder that the recipe called for. I have no idea what that does to the health factor, and I'm not going to obsess over it either. It was good, even Ted liked it & is having leftovers for lunch today. I call that a success. 

I might make it again, I'm not sure. It was worth a try, that's for sure. If you want to attempt making it I would encourage you the halve the recipe. This recipe makes a 9x13 baking dish of mac & cheese. Unless you love leftovers or your family is huge & you'll eat all of it in one sitting, I would encourage you to save a little $ and just make half. That way if you don't like it then it's not a huge loss. Also, I used fresh butternut squash that was already cubed up for me, but I pureed it in our blender with a little milk so it would blend up nicely.

1 comments:

AlaskanAlison said...

*drool*

mmmmmmm.....mac n cheese me likey.