Sarah SaysSarah SaysSarah SaysSarah SaysSarah Says

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

triple chocolate chip cookies

This recipe is inspired/spawned off of the recipe mentioned in this post.

1 stick of butter, melted
3/4 C packed brown sugar
3/4 C sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbls. brewed coffee
1/3 C cocoa powder
1 tsp. salt (fine)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 C white chocolate chips
1/2 C chocolate chips (can use milk, dark, whatever you like)
2 C flour

This recipe basically follows the same method as the above referenced recipe also:

Melt butter (I melt mine right in the bowl I mix everything in). For my microwave it takes a stick of right-out-of-the-fridge butter 2 minutes on 50% power to melt fully. Mix in sugars & coffee. Beat in the eggs. Mix in vanilla. I now add the salt & baking soda. Mix in the cocoa powder. Now mix in the flour adding it in these additions - 1 C, 1/2 C, 1/2 C. I add it in these steps because sometimes the dough doesn't need 2 full cups, and sometimes it seems to need a touch more. Add and mix to your own discretion. To scoop out the dough I use a generous tablespoon scoop and bake at 375 for about 9 minutes. Again, baking time may vary oven to oven. I like my cookies soft & chewy.

I also mix all of this by hand with a wooden or large plastic spoon. I'm also a lazy measurer, and these always come out Yum-O. (I'm kind of a "that's close enough" measurer except when it comes to the leavening agent). I also always taste my batter before baking. If it doesn't taste good pre-bake, it's probably not going to taste good baked. E-coli & raw eggs be damned... you won't take my raw cookie dough from me. If you're super concerned or have a compromised immune system then you may want to switch over to pasteurized eggs (or just don't give it the pre-bake taste test - but that would be sad). Better safe then sorry, that's what I say! Except for eating raw cookie dough, safety be damned!

I hope you all try this recipe out. They come out so yummy. The only thing I would change, since I've only made them this way once, is next time I'll add more cocoa powder to really amp up the chocolate flavor. If you aren't a chocolate freak like me then the 1/3 cup will probably be fine, I just enjoy a really rich chocolate flavor.

Happy Eating!

1 comments:

Bette said...

You've got to taste the dough first! That's why I use those eggs that have been pasteurized in the shell. Good call!