Sarah SaysSarah SaysSarah SaysSarah SaysSarah Says

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

over an open fire

This past weekend my family went to Glamis for the weekend. Ted & I met them out there Friday afternoon/early evening and the fun (?) began. I use fun cautiously because of a couple things...

First - The reason the trip even came about was because one of my brothers friends & his family were going out there for a birthday. Well, the guy who was celebrating his birthday out there ended up fracturing his wrist & ankle on the first day aka his birthday. How much does that suck? He was being cautious and careful, it was just one of those freak things that can happen when you're out in the dunes.

Second - When I was much younger my family used to go off-roading all the time and at various locations, but we always made it to Glamis every year. Then we stopped going when my brother & I got older. The large group of people who would go kind of broke apart, and it just stopped. My family just got back into it a few years ago, in the first year I was all into it. I loved it all. I haven't been out there in a little over a year (or 2 seasons) and I just... didn't like it. I don't know what changed, it was the same... I changed. Maybe it's the fact that I'm older, wiser (ha!), or have responsibilities? I was telling everyone that it seems like the time away has made me scared. A sissy, if you will. Who knows? What I do know is that I like going to the river/lake much more. Regardless, it was still fun to spend that time with my family.

One thing that I thought was so awesome was that the family who we were camping with, they cooked over an open flame. They had a large "grill" that they just propped up over the campfire. Awesome, huh? I thought so also. I wish I had gotten a picture of it! The first night they cooked their dinner (carne asada) on it. Yum! Then the next morning they brought out a regular old pan and cooked their bacon on that grill. They cooked their lunch on it that afternoon. They had an old fashion dutch oven & they made chili in it for dinner that night. It cooked almost all day, right on the fire! I loved it. My family uses a small camping bbq, but I'm thinking we may have to make ourselves one of those grills that can go right over the fire. That's the way to do it.

Goal for the next Glamis season? Don't be a sissy. & cook over an open fire.

0 comments: